Everyone has their own definition of what success is to them. Not only that, but everyone also has a desire somewhere inside of them to achieve their definition of success. However, being successful or attaining tough goals isn’t always easy. For most people, success is everything and they spend their entire lives trying to attain their life goals.
Your goals are the things you aim to achieve in life. Successes and goals go hand-in-hand. Achieving your goals along the way are extremely important because it gives you a consistent reminder that you’re on the right path for success. Every successful person set smaller goals along the way and they did whatever it took to achieve it.
Success is hard to achieve, but not impossible. The truth is, success is not a destination, success is a mindset for us to take on to achieve our goals. We do not stop having this mindset once we have achieved our goal. Instead, we need to adopt this mindset forever to enable us to achieve success in whatever we do.
In this post, I will share with you how to be successful and achieve your life goals in the next 5 years.
1. Have a SMART Goal
As mentioned, success and goals usually work hand-in-hand, for you to be successful, you need to have a goal. Every goal is achievable if you are determined to achieve it no matter what the circumstances are, so you must set a SMART goal.
- Specific: “This is my goal. What do I want to achieve with this goal? What is the exact outcome that I am looking for?” Your goal needs to be specific. You cannot just say that your goal is to be successful, get really focused. Having a specific goal will help you determine the steps you need to do and the risks you need to take.
- Measurable: “How will I know when I have achieved my goal? What does success look like?” Having a goal of “to be successful” is generic and very broad. Success does not happen only once; it can go on forever. Having a measurable goal like, “My goal is to achieve one million dollars in revenue this year” is something far more measurable. Once you achieve that, then you are successful in that goal and you can focus your attention on your next goal.
- Attainable: “Are there resources I need to achieve the goal? What are those resources?” Every goal you set should be attainable. Earning a million dollars is attainable, but you can’t attain it if you just sit and wait around, you need to work on it. You can start a business and earn that kind of money.
- Relevant: “Why am I doing this? Do I want to do this? Is it a priority in my life right now?” Every person has different priorities; thus, the relevance of their goal is also different from one another. Set up a goal that is relevant to you and what you prioritize it.
- Time-oriented: “What is the deadline? Will I know in a few weeks if I’m on the right track?” Every goal you set should always be time-oriented. We may have a life-long goal, but we should not wait around for forever to achieve success. We also need to set shorter-term goals that are achievable in shorter time frames.
2. Find A Mentor
Sometimes, the path to success and achieving our goals isn’t always clear. Along the way, you’re going to experience challenges and things that may cause doubt in your mind. You may encounter things that may possibly stop you from achieving your specific goals.
However, enlisting the help of a mentor is a great way to keep yourself on track. Find someone who has achieved the level or type of success you want and see if you can get them to mentor you. When finding a mentor, remember not to take up too much of their time and always offer to give back to them in any way that you can. Then, as you deal with obstacles and tough times, share those concerns with them and see what kind of advice they can give you.
3. Take Massive Action
There is no successful person in the world that became successful from just sitting around and waiting. Everyone who is successful or has achieved an amazing goal has worked their ass off to attain it. Whether you’re Beyonce or just a regular college student, we all have the same amount of time in each day. Everyone gets 24 hours, the difference between Beyonce and you is just massive action.
Many people want to achieve what Mark Zuckerberg or Bill Gates may have achieved in their lifetimes, but we can never achieve what they have achieved without taking action and putting in the work. These super successful individuals went through the same struggles and obstacles as we did, but they didn’t quit when things got tough. They embraced their failures, learned from them and bounced back stronger than ever.
Finding success is all about creating the right plan and developing the right mindset that will enable you to tackle your goals no matter how tough things get. In this post, I shared with you how to be successful and achieve your life goals in the next 5 years.